Ylang Ylang Essential Oil Uses
Ylang ylang has been found in research to:
- boost mood
- reduce depression
- alleviate anxiety
- lower blood pressure
- decrease heart rate
- stimulate oil production in the skin and on the scalp
- repel flying insects and kill bug larvae
Some people use ylang ylang as an aphrodisiac and for sexual stimulation, although its benefits in this area are primarily anecdotal.
Ylang ylang also has a history of use as a traditional, herbal treatment for conditions such as:
- stomach distress
Ylang ylang benefits
Ylang ylang has some proven benefits, and some uses indicated by anecdotal evidence. For example:
- A small studyTrusted Source found that ylang ylang reduced anxiety and boosted self-esteem when it was either applied to skin or inhaled. Ylang ylang’s beneficial effect on mood has been duplicated in other studies, and is also substantiated via anecdotal evidence.
- Another study found that inhalation of ylang ylang had a sedative effect, by significantly reducing systolic and diastolic blood pressure rates as well as heart rate in healthy men.
- Ylang ylang contains linalool, a compound which has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties. It has been shownTrusted Source to be effective at reducing Candida albicans, a fungal infection.
- In many parts of the world, ylang ylang flowers are pounded into paste and used as an inhalant to treat asthma.
- When dried, ylang ylang flowers are used to treat malaria symptoms in countries throughout Asia.
- Ylang ylang is used as a folk remedy to increase sexual desire and reduce sexual anxiety.